Sunday, September 19, 2010

Storm Mountain

This past summer, I had the opportunity to take a rock climbing class from the University of Utah's Sports & Recreation department. Can I just say it was AWESOME!  Although it was only a beginner's class, we were taught everything from proper climbing techniques, to rappelling, to buying equipment, to rope tying.  It rained the entire weekend but that did not stop us from scaling the walls of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Climbing to Cache 


One of the main reasons I decided to take the class was so that I could find some of the more difficult geocaches in Utah.  If you are wondering what geocaching is, check out www.geocaching.com .  I will talk more about geocaching in a future post.

The first geocache I attempted with my new climbing gear and knowledge was Storm Mountain in Big Cottonwood Canyon.  The cache required us to rappel down an 80' cliff, scramble along a ledge, climb up a 10' wall, and retrieve the cache.  We then had to make another 70' rappel down to the bottom of the mountain.  It is one of my favorite geocache finds to date.


Getting the Right Coordinates

If anyone is thinking about trying this fun geocache out, you can find it hidden at N 40° 37.458 W 111° 44.672. To use find these coordinates, you will need a tracking device such as a gps unit.  But it's not that simple.  The coordinates will get you to the general area and then you will need to use common sense, detective skills, and a little bit of luck to claim the prize.


This cache is not to be attempted unless you have the proper equipment, training, and knowledge of rock climbing and/or rappelling.  Even though I took a class and had purchased the right gear, I had an experienced climber along to help guide me through.


Taking the Right Class

If you ever get the chance, I would recommend taking a rock climbing class at the U.  The instructors were informative and highly qualified to teach the class.  There was lots of one-on-one training and everyone had the chance to get in as much climbing as they wanted.  It was a fantastic time all around and well worth the money. 





1 comment:

  1. I tried posting a comment earlier and it didn't go through so hopefully two don't show up. But that's great you took rock climbing! I love the U's outdoor selection. I took ice climbing last semester and had such a great time. I'm excited to see your blog progess and what other fun things you're up to. :)

    ReplyDelete